Sony A9 Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera Has Arrived!
There Sony a9 (ILCE-9/B) is a new powerhouse camera in town, and it can easily rival the mighty Canon with its best camera. That shooter is none other than the Sony' A9. Also known as the Sony Alpha 9, the camera comes loaded with features that any professional photographer would drool over. Innovation is what Sony does sow= well, and the A9 is a game changer.
Sony α9 Unveil Video
Sony A9 Camera Sensor Resolution
The Sony' A9 boasts a fairly modest 24.2-megapixel resolution, which closely matches that of the Canon 5D Mark III, which has a 22.3-megapixel sensor. At the same time, the resolution is slightly lower than that of Canon’s 5D Mark IV with its 30.4-megapixel sensor. However, the Sony has a higher resolution than the found in the flagship Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, which came with a $6,000 price tag.
ALPHA 9 PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS:
- 24.2MP Full-Frame Stacked CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processor
- Internal UHD 4K Video & S-Log3 Gamma
- 5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
- 693-Point AF with 93% Frame Coverage
- Blackout-Free Quad-VGA 3.7m-Dot OLED EVF
- 3.0" 1.44m-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- 20 fps Shooting and ISO 204,800
- Built-In Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, Dual SD Slots
- Integrated LAN and PC Sync Terminal
What Other Specifications Can You Expect with the A9?
Sony has been known for its innovation and held one of the best reputations in the camera industry for many years, and with good reason. It has some of the top technology for camera sensors on the market and is the supplier of most cameras and smartphones manufactured by other companies.
However, what makes the Sony Alpha 9 stand out is that it’s the first model to use a full frame stacked CMOS sensor that is powered by a BIONZ processor. Sony claims that this technology allows the camera to track “complex erratic motion with higher accuracy than ever before.” The ISO range runs between 100 to 51,200 but is expandable to 204,800.
Sony α9 - Product Features (Video)
Additional Features to Look For
The viewfinder is a 3,686k dot OLED, which is the most brilliant that the company has ever used. It doesn’t run the risk of blacking out while the user is shooting photos, even at only 20fps.
- 24.2-megapixel3 35mm full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with integral memory
- High-speed (blackout-free) continuous shooting of up to 20fps5 with AF/AE tracking
- 693-point wide-area phase-detection AF
- Unlimited RAW Shooting
- AF/AE live-view tracking, shutter speed up to 1/32000
- Silent vibration-free Anti-Distortion shutter, sensitivity up to ISO 204800 (extended)
- 5-axis image stabilization with effectiveness equivalent to 5.0-stop20 slower shutter speed
- 4K Video with full pixel readout and downscales to 4K giving footage more detail
- Full HD at 120 fps at up to 100 Mbps
Sony α9 High resolution full-frame 4K
New Sony A9 Accessories:
- NP-FZ100 Rechargeable Battery – The HP-FZ100 is a NEW High-capacity battery with approximately 2x the capacity of the NP-FW50 W-series battery. The NP-FZ100 Rechargeable Battery supports InfoLITHIUM® technology, making it possible to view the remaining battery power as both a percentage display and five step icon on the camera’s LCD screen.
- BC-QZ1 Battery Charger: The BC-QZ1 quick-charging battery charger will charge one Z-series battery in approximately 2.5 hours.
- VG-C3EM Vertical Grip – Sony VG-C3EM is designed for the Alpha a9 Mirrorless Camera providing the same operation, handling and design as the α9 camera, holds two NP-FZ100 Batteries and allows USB battery-charging via the camera body.
- NPA-MQZ1K Multi-Battery Adaptor– External multi-battery adaptor kit capable of functioning as an external power supply for four Z-series batteries. The NPA-MQZ1K Multi-Battery Adaptor Kit comes with two packs of NP-FZ100 rechargeable batteries.
- GP-X1EM Grip Extension – Grip extender with same design and feel of the α9 body. The GP-X1EM Grip Extension provides a more solid grip on camera.
- PCK–LG1 Screen Protect Glass Sheet: The PCK–LG1 is a Protect Glass Sheet for α9 providing hard, shatterproof glass screen protector with anti-stain coating to prevent fingerprints. The PCK–LG1 supports Compatible touch operation and tilting LCD screen
Sony A9 Availability and Retail Price
Preorders for the Sony A9 are slated to start on Friday, April 21, 2017. The camera will retail in the United States for $4,500, which is a good price for any serious photography enthusiast. Considering the features it sports and the price tag, the A9 should tempt even the most diehard Canon fans to switch.